Monday, June 13, 2011

Lemon Sago Pudding



When my cousin and I lived in the same city (before my children were born) my husband and I spent almost every Sunday night at her place for dinner. We loved being spoilt by her fantastic home cooking: roasts, casseroles and shephards pie. There was always dessert too: apple crumble and custard, golden syrup dumplings and lemon sago pudding. Those dinners hold a very special place in my heart. I think of those nights with a happy smile, whenever I make this old fashioned dessert.

A few years ago, I started making it for my own family's weekend desserts. The kids love it.

As always, I have played around with the recipe a little. This is how I make it.


Lemon Sago Pudding


serves 6

• 1/2 cup sago

• 3/4 cup caster sugar

• zest of 2 lemons (finely chopped)
• 3 cups water

• juice of 2 lemons

• 1 tablespoon golden syrup


to serve


cream (optional)


Combine the sago, sugar, lemon rind and water in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Keeping stirring so the sago does not stick to the bottom. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Stir regularly for about 20 minutes or until the sago is translucent and soft and the mixture is thick. Remove from the heat and stir in the lemon juice and golden syrup. Leave to cool for 30 minutes before serving. This can be served warm or cold with cream.


After about 15 minutes cooling time I poured the mixture into individual serving bowls.



As always, there was a fight to 'lick the bowl'.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear what's happening in your kitchen. If you've tried one of my recipes, I'd like to know what you thought? Do you have some advice to make it better? Did you find a mistake? Perhaps it is a new favourite in your home?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...