Sunday, August 28, 2011

An old fashioned dessert



I love this dessert, a bit like a thick custard.

In my twenties when I was saving money to go overseas, I took a second job in a little Caribbean takeaway. This dessert was on the menu. Not a Saturday night went by that I didn't leave with my pay cheque and a takeaway container of this yummy dessert.

I like to eat it plain. You will often find me in the kitchen, both before and after serving, eating it straight from the saucepan. You can sprinkle it with cinnamon or the children like it with either a dollop of berry jam or a spoonful of stewed fruit.

Simple, nourishing and warming on cold winter nights.

Semolina Pudding

serves 6 - 8

• 4 tables. butter
• 2/3 cup semolina
• 3 1/2 cups milk
• 1/2 cup sugar
• 1 teas. vanilla

Heat the butter in a saucepan over a low heat. Add the semolina and continue to cook on low for 15 minutes. Stir frequently until the semolina is lightly browned. In another saucepan, heat the milk and sugar and bring to the boil. When the sugar is dissolved, add the vanilla and pour slowly into the semolina. Stir constantly. Simmer until very thick. Spoon into individual serving dishes and serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear what's happening in your kitchen. If you've tried one of my recipes, I'd like to know what you thought? Do you have some advice to make it better? Did you find a mistake? Perhaps it is a new favourite in your home?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...