Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Summer Couscous Salad



Before you read this: This is an old post. I have been going through and enlarging my photos on old posts this morning. Do not ask me why this one was published here!? Instead of back in 2011 where it belongs! Oh Blogger! Time for a cup of tea I think.

In any case, if you are a new reader you might be happy to discover this recipe, perfect for the weather we are having now. I will be posting a new recipe later today. Stay tuned.

Yes, I know it is not summer, but I have decided to share this recipe anyway. It was, however, a very summery day here on Sunday when I made it for a picnic by the river. The cherry tomatoes were so delicious and sweet they were like little lollies bursting in your mouth.

I have been making this basic recipe for a long time. I often add different ingredients, depending on what it is being served with, the season or what's in the fridge. I love to add roasted vegetables, feta, nuts or different herbs. This salad also keeps well if you make it the day before.





Summer Couscous Salad

serves 4-6

• 1 1/2 cups of instant couscous
• 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
• 1/4 cup olive oil
• 2 cloves garlic (crushed)
• 1/2 tables. ground cumin
• 1/2 cup lemon juice
• 1 x 250 gram punnet of cherry tomatoes (halved)
• 1/2 continental cucumber (diced)
• 1/2 red onion (diced)
• 4 shallots (sliced)
• 1 x 400 gram tin chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
• 1 handful flat-leaf parsely (torn)
• 1 handful mint leaves (torn)
• zest of 1 lemon
• salt and pepper

Bring the chicken stock to the boil. place the couscous into a heatproof bowl and pour over 1 cup of the chicken stock. Fluff the couscous with a fork as the stock is absorbed. Add the remaining stock if required, all couscous brand will soak up the stock differently. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a small pan and gently saute eh garlic. Stir in the cumin and fry for half a minute. Stir in the lemon juice. Pour this mixture over the couscous. Mix through the other ingredients and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear what's happening in your kitchen. If you've tried one of my recipes, I'd like to know what you thought? Do you have some advice to make it better? Did you find a mistake? Perhaps it is a new favourite in your home?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...