Sunday, October 9, 2011

Leftover Stifatho



Tonight we had leftover Beef Stifatho, like all beef stews it always tastes better the next day.

To stretch the meal, I made a simple pine nut pilaf to go with it. And with excess dill in the fridge I also made a favourite lettuce salad.



Pine Nut Pilaf

serves 4-6

• 2 tablespoons butter
• 1 small onion (finely diced)

1/2 cup pine nuts
• 1 1/4 cup basmati rice (rinsed and drained)
• 2 1/2 cups chicken stock
• salt and pepper

Heat the butter in a medium sized, heavy based saucepan. Gently saute the onion until soft. Add the rice and pine nuts and stir for 2-3 minutes, browning the nuts and evenly coating the rice with oil. Pour in the stock and season well. Bring to the boil, stirring constantly. Once boiling, cover and reduce the heat to low. Simmer for about 20 minutes until the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is tender but slightly resistant to the bite. Drape a clean tea towel over the rice and let it stand for 10 minutes before serving.



This simple salad is one I found when I first discovered the internet. Every time I eat it, the flavours remind me of meals at our favourite Greek restaurant in Brisbane, the iconic Lefkas. When we lived in Brisbane (we left 5 years ago) we ate there once a week. Friday night dinner with friends, mid-week dinner, weekend lunch, mid-week lunch, takeaway and birthday celebrations. We do miss it.

Greek Lettuce Salad
(maroulosalata)

serves 6

• 4 cups cos lettuce (torn)

• 2 tablespoons dill leaves (finely chopped)

• 4 tablespoons shallots (finely sliced)


the dressing


• 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

• 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar

• 2 cloves garlic (crushed)

• salt and pepper


Place the lettuce, dill and shallots into a large bowl and gently toss. Put the dressing ingredients into a jar and shake to combine. Just before serving pour over the dressing and toss to coat.


Take a look here to see who else is participating in blogtoberfest.

2 comments:

  1. Yum I am def going to make this one day this coming week and keep it in the frige overnight cos yep aways tastes better the next day! Will make your sides also :]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooops typo on fridge above!!


    PS just checked out the link and guess what?!? I am in Brissy and hubby works near WEST END often and I craveeeeeeeee yiros and also bbq baby octopus like I used to get when I lived in Melb. Looks like this place could be a winner! Shall I indulge on your behalf whilst there also. I don't mind...seriously lol!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear what's happening in your kitchen. If you've tried one of my recipes, I'd like to know what you thought? Do you have some advice to make it better? Did you find a mistake? Perhaps it is a new favourite in your home?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...