Sunday, October 2, 2011

Blueberry Muffins



I have never been a great lover of muffins. I never ate them as a child. It was only in my twenties that I first ate them in coffee shops. Giant fluffy muffins: pear and chocolate or raspberry, orange and white chocolate. However given the choice, when out for coffee, I usually opted for something like 'death by chocolate' cake.

Since my children where born I have made many, many batches of muffins: savoury, sweet and healthy. Muffin recipes are in every single toddler/kids cookbook, how could I not. My kids never ate them. Ever. But they were popular at playdates.

As my kids get older, their tastes are changing, they are not so quick to say 'no' to everything. I have been making this American style recipe for a few years. We all love them.

I don't know where the original recipe first came from but I know that I have changed it quiet a bit. Just recently I found a similar recipe that contained 3 cups of blueberries. I might try that next time.
 
Blueberry Muffins

makes 24


• 175 grams butter

• 1 1/2 cups milk

• 3 eggs (lightly beaten)

• 3 cups plain flour
• 2/3 cup sugar

• 1 tablespoons baking powder

• 1/2 teaspoons salt

• 2 cups blueberries

• extra sugar for sprinkling


Preheat the oven to 190 degrees. Grease and flour a 24 hole muffin tin. Combine the butter and milk in a small saucepan and gently melt the butter over a very low heat. When the butter is melted, pour the milk mixture into a bowl and whisk in the eggs. Set aside. Mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add the berries and coat with the flour. Pour the milk mixture over the dry ingredients and gently stir from the bottom up just until no white streaks remain. The batter will look lumpy. Put into muffin tins and sprinkle with the extra sugar. Bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes.

Take a look here to see who else is participating in blogtoberfest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear what's happening in your kitchen. If you've tried one of my recipes, I'd like to know what you thought? Do you have some advice to make it better? Did you find a mistake? Perhaps it is a new favourite in your home?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...