Sunday, June 17, 2012

Winter Greens

If you have been reading my blog from the start you would know that it was only last year (aged 38) that I discovered the delights of brussels sprouts and kale.

During early autumn, these wonderful winter vegetables started appearing in local shops and markets, I excitedly snatched them up, like a child in lolly shop. I have been trying a few new recipes and these are some of the ones I like best.

My husband and I are still shaking our heads, we just can't believe how much we love brussles sprouts. Can't believe it!



This is such a healthy dish and so moreish. I could easily eat just a big bowl of this and nothing else.

Brussels Sprouts with Roasted Almonds 

serves 4

• 18 brussels sprouts (trimmed, cored and finely sliced)
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 1 tablespoon butter
• salt and pepper
• 2 tablespoons parsley (roughly chopped)
• 150 grams almonds - natural (roasted and slightly crushed)

Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan over a medium to high heat. Add the brussels sprouts and stir-fry for about 30 seconds before adding the butter. Continue to cook for another minute before removing from the heat. Season to taste and toss through the parsley and almonds. Serve immediatley.

This recipe is from "Riverstone Kitchen"







This recipe is more of an indulgence. All that cream! Cook only occasionally, to be nice to your health, but there was no way that I was not including it here. Really, you never can go wrong with anything made of bacon, cream and cheese. Yummy!

Brussels Sprouts with Bacon, Cream and Almonds

serves 4-6

• 700 grams brussels sprouts (trimmed)
• 100 grams smoked bacon (cut into strips)
• 1 tablespoon flaked almonds
• 1/2 tablespoon butter
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 300 ml double cream
• salt and pepper
• a squeeze of lemon
• 4 tablespoons homemade breadcrumbs
• 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese (grated)

Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Bring a saucepan of salted water to the boil and simmer the brussels sprouts for about 4 minutes, until almost cooked. Drain and cut the sprouts in half. Heat the butter and oil in a large frying pan and add the bacon and almonds, saute until lightly browned. Add the sprouts and cook for a further 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the cream and bring to the boil, let it bubble away for 2-4 minutes until it has reduced to a thick sauce. Season to taste. Remove from the heat and stir in the lemon juice. 

Transfer to a ovenproof serving dish. Mix together the breadcrumbs and cheese and sprinkle over the top of the sprouts. Bake for 20 minutes until the top is golden brown. Serve immediately

This recipe is from "Sophie Grigson Country Kitchen"



It is any wonder that I have seen these kale chips on so many blogs, or that Gwyneth also raves about them in her book. Make these today. Make them for an afternoon treat when the kids get home from school. Make then to serve with dinner. Make them and you'll probably stand at the kitchen counter and eat most of them before anyone else gets look in.

And did I mention that they are very good for you. 

Kale Chips

• 1 big bunch of kale (stems removed and torn into 4 cm pieces)
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• sea salt

Preheat the oven to 200 degrees. Toss the kale with the oil and spread out over two baking trays. Sprinkle with salt and roast for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned and crispy.

This recipe is from "Notes from my Kitchen Table"

2 comments:

  1. I made your brussel sprouts with almonds tonight - it was delicious. For the last couple of mouthfuls I added some lemon juice and freshly grated parmesan - it was gorgeous like that too. Thanks for the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I haven't been reading any blogs for a bit (too busy) but I needed some inspiration so thought I would check out your blog for an idea and I wasn't disappointed. And I do have to recommend the lemon and parmesan, it added another dimension and was a great combo. xx

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear what's happening in your kitchen. If you've tried one of my recipes, I'd like to know what you thought? Do you have some advice to make it better? Did you find a mistake? Perhaps it is a new favourite in your home?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...