Thursday, August 30, 2012

Making Muffins


Every toddler or baby cookbook I've ever picked up was filled with muffin recipes. During those early years of motherhood I must have tried millions of new muffin recipes.

My kids never ate them.

Happily, my muffins were a welcomed gift at any playgroup that we attended, so I guess it was not a complete waste. Not long ago, my cousin told me how she was making muffin's every other day. With the exception of blueberry muffins, I hadn't cooked muffins for ages.

I dug out an old folder of some tried and tested recipes. They were an instant hit with my, now school aged, children.

And so it is, that we have returned to making muffins in this house - almost every other day!

Here are two recipes that we have been making over the last month, in our house yoghurt and strawberries have been plentiful.







Berry, Yoghurt and White Chocolate Muffins 

 

makes 16-20



• 1 1/2 cups wholemeal self-raising flour
• 1/2 cup caster sugar
• 2 tablespoons vegetable oil

• 2 eggs (lightly beaten) 
• 1 cup yoghurt
• 1 cup mixed berries
• 100 grams white chocolate (roughly chopped)



• icing sugar for sprinkling (optional)



Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Grease and flour two 12 hole muffin tins. In a large bowl, mix together the flour and the sugar. In a small bowl or jug, mix together the oil, eggs and yoghurt with a whisk, until well combined. Pour the yoghurt mixture over the dry ingredients and  stir gently to combine. Add the berries and chocolate, halfway through mixing. Do not over mix. The mixture will be a bit lumpy. Use a tablespoon to put into muffin tins. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden. 

Allow to stand for 5-10 minutes and sprinkle with icing sugar.



Strawberry and Buttermilk Muffins

makes about 24

• 380 grams plain flour
• 150 grams caster sugar
• 2 teaspoons baking powder
• 1 teaspoon bicarbonate soda
• pinch of salt
• 150 grams butter (melted)
• 2 eggs (lightly beaten)
• 300 ml buttermilk
• 1 teaspoon vanilla
• 1 1/2 cup strawberries (roughly chopped)

Preheat the oven to 190 degrees. Grease and flour two 12 hole muffin tins. In a large bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, bicarbonate soda and salt. In a small bowl or jug, mix together the melted butter, eggs, buttermilk and vanilla with a whisk, until well combined. Pour the buttermilk mixture over the dry ingredients and  stir gently to combine. Add the strawberries halfway through mixing. Do not over mix. The mixture will be a bit lumpy. Use a tablespoon to put into muffin tins. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden. 

Editors note: I have updated this recipe (5-10-12) changing the cooking temperature and time for a much better result. Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. Wow!
    You made making Berry, Yoghurt and White Chocolate Muffins seem so simple!
    Would you join us in our food community www.mycookbook.com and let us know how you worked on the Berry, Yoghurt and White Chocolate Muffins perfectly ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Muffins are simple! I am no expert, but I think the secret is to never over-mix the mixture.

      I'm going to check out mycookbook.com now. Thanks for the link.

      Delete
  2. Mmm they sound really good! I have a tub of yoghurt that I need to do something with - might give these a whirl and see they turn out with gf flour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't see any reason why these wouldn't turn out with gluten free flour. I have never tried it, I would love to know how you go:)

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear what's happening in your kitchen. If you've tried one of my recipes, I'd like to know what you thought? Do you have some advice to make it better? Did you find a mistake? Perhaps it is a new favourite in your home?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...