Friday, May 11, 2012

Greek Pork with Leeks


Last week it was rainy and cold here. I seized the opportunity to cook more casseroles.

It has been warmer this week, but maybe it's cold where you are? I made this a week ago and I can't stop thinking about it. When the cold returns, I know I will be making it again.

I had bought some lovely young leeks from the markets, and remembered this recipe that I copied  out from a Greek cookbook last year. (Sorry, I can't remember the name of the book) It has been adapted slightly from the original recipe.

Oh my, what perfect, heartwarming food. A few ingredients thrown into a pot and cooked long and slow. Simple and delicious. Even my children didn't complain. I love eating food like this, somehow it reminds me of my Nana.

Yes, this is exactly the type of food that my Nana would have cooked, had she been Greek. 

I served it in large bowls with a yummy olive sourdough bread for mopping up the sauce and finished the meal with this greek country salad.

As with all casseroles, it was much better the next day. Yes, we ate it two nights in a row. Yum.



Pork and Leek Stew

serves 6-8

• 4-6 leeks (washed and cut into 4 cm lengths)
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 small onion (finely diced)
• 1.5 kilograms pork shoulder (cut into 5 cm pieces)
• 2 cups tomato passata
• 2 cups water
• salt and pepper
• 1 teaspoon sweet paprika

to serve

• cracked black pepper
• feta cheese
• crusty bread

Heat the oil in a large heavy based pot and gently saute the onions. Increase the heat and add the pork. Brown the pork in two batches. Return all of the pork to the pot and add the tomato passata and water. Season to taste. Cover and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to simmer and cook for 1 hour. Add the leeks and continue to cook for a further 1 1/2 - 2 hours or until the leeks are tender. Serve hot with a generous grinding of black pepper and lots of crumbled feta cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear what's happening in your kitchen. If you've tried one of my recipes, I'd like to know what you thought? Do you have some advice to make it better? Did you find a mistake? Perhaps it is a new favourite in your home?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...