Monday, March 18, 2013

More chocolate cake


Remember the amazing cake on this 'Donna Hay Magazine - 50th Issue'. Well, last year, after already making the Celebration Chocolate Cake 3 times, when June and my birthday came around, I attempted Donna's cake. OK, so not exactly like the picture, but still a good effort I thought. This cake is made with buttermilk and was a lot lighter than the type of chocolate cakes I favour. I prefer dark, rich and fudgy. Having said that, after sharing it with friends and family on the night of my birthday, it was me who finished off the remaining cake that week. And when I say say me, I mean only me. I hid it at the back of the fridge and told the kids I had frozen it for another time. But no, all of that week, I sat each day before school pick up with a cup of coffee and indulged myself. My little secret.

Chocolate Buttermilk Layer Cake

serves 6-8

• 1 cup water
• 125 grams butter
• 1/3 cup cocoa
• 2 cups plain flour
• 1 teaspoon bicarbonate soda
• 2 cups sugar
• 2 eggs
• 1/2 cup buttermilk
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

chocolate cream cheese frosting

• 100 grams butter (softened)
• 500 grams cream cheese
• 2 cups icing sugar
• 1/2 cup cocoa

Preheat oven to 160 degrees. Grease and flour two 18cm cake tins (I used 20cm tins as that's all I had, it didn't seem to alter the cooking time at all) 

Place the water, butter and cocoa in a saucepan over medium heat and stir until the butter has melted. Sift the flour and bicarbonate soda into a large mixing bowl and add the sugar. Pour in the cocoa mixture and stir to combine. Add the eggs, buttermilk and vanilla and mix well. Divide the mixture between the two cake tins and bake for 40-45 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer. Allow to cool in the tins for 10 minutes, before turning out on to wire racks to cool completely.

To make the frosting, place the butter and cheese in a bowl and beat with electric beaters for 6-8 minutes until pale and creamy. Sifting in the icing sugar and cocoa and beat for a further 6-8 minutes or until light and fluffy. 

To assemble the cake, cut each cake in half horizontally. Place one layer on a plate and spread with one quarter of the frosting. Repeat with the remaining layers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear what's happening in your kitchen. If you've tried one of my recipes, I'd like to know what you thought? Do you have some advice to make it better? Did you find a mistake? Perhaps it is a new favourite in your home?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...